A glass of a pretty decent red wine, kids have finally went to sleep as well as my exhausted wife who is trying to grab some sleep between very frequent wide-awake intervals that my younger daughters has.
I’m resting in an armchair, staring in my shelf. For those among you who know me, they know what shelf I’m talking about and for those who know me a bit less, I believe picture tells more than a thousand words. Someone would say this is my late night fish tank.
It’s much more than a plan shelf, love for cartoons, robots, comic books but – above all – love for super heroes. That particular love helped me a lot in what I’m doing now – digital marketing. Considering that all that I’ve left from the bottle is that one glass of wine, I will try to keep the explaining this love short and sweet.
- Making a good movie is not enough. In other words, if you believe that “Content is the king” phrase is enough, maybe you should rethink and ask yourself the same question. I praise Marvel and DC for creating such an elaborate mechanism which doesn’t focus only in pre-promotion, but rather on plan of activities for a whole year. It’s an excellent showcase:
– Custom made or plug in events (Comic Con being the most recognizable one)
– using actors, or rather “milking them for all their worth”: social media engagement, participating in various panels and shows, etc. In our digital marketing world, we called it influencer marketing:) Someone will say, for them it’s easy. Yes, it’s easy, when you co create with someone, then promotion comes as a cherry on a cake
– Online part is already well known, creating hype where there’s really no hype
– Cooperation with various brands (it’s a topic that deserves a separate article, but one of mine favorite lately is between Vans and Marvel)
- We have a great content and we are cool enough to explain and to facilitate the complete concept for you. Marvel is an expert in this field and, maybe, the reason why they are so far ahead of DC. Marvel started with a general story and only then dedicated movies to the most important characters, thus making possible to the audience (even those who are not connoisseurs of the matter) to get to know the franchise and characters and only then they have started to film “joint venture” movie, which all made sense. The problem with DC is that they’ve spent roughly 20 minutes on presenting main characters in “Justice League” and now they are trying to fix that with separate movies.
Applied in marketing campaigns, if you use a face in a campaign (the real or imagined one) give people a chance to get to know him or her and don’t presume anything. Where DC succeeded the most is Batman; not because Batman is “the man” but rather because it had the beginning, elaboration and the end. There have been years, TV series, movies and cartoons during which DC presented Batman to the mankind. Very good example for similar strategy you can find here, regarding Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Volvo Company.
- We all know that moment when a guy who is terrible in telling jokes is trying to tell the world’s best joke, but that is just not it and, at the end, nobody is laughing. I know I’m risking to be killed if I mention storytelling here but I must – even the best story, poorly told, will be a bad story. I don’t want to spend too much time on this matter, just watch the video and it will be crystal clear to you. Especially, focus on what the producers are saying.
Translated to the marketing language, if you would like for your story to last longer, everything needs to be preplanned, with extremely precise timeline.
- The end of the good story, actually, needs to be a beginning of a new one. The biggest mistake we make when creating content is cutting the branch we are sitting on. We have a great campaign, content and we finish it with no room for “sequel”. Again, I will use the example of the last movie from the Avengers franchise, “Avengers: Infinity War”. Majority of my friends who were not paying a close attention to Marvel only just now have realized this is the right moment to tail on. For me, that was the perfect ending of years of different movies and the ultimate moment of meeting Thanos. For others, it was an ideal beginning of getting to know the Avengers.
The glass is empty, but I think I will stay a bit longer, just watching my shelf. I always think that the position of action figures can always be better.